Thursday, August 24, 2017

The Power of Unexpected Story

Zestful Blog Post #226

As you may know, I’ve gotten a gig teaching a class in story writing at Ringling College of Art and Design. Last week, about 15 other new faculty members and I were obliged to attend an all-day orientation session. The agenda looked tedious: presentation after presentation from department heads and support teams, speech after speech. But first, all of us had to introduce ourselves and say a few words about our background and what we’re going to teach.

I was a little more than halfway back in the room. I listened to the intro stories, which all went as expected: “I’m [Firstname Lastname], and I taught [subject matter] at [this college, that university] for [X] years. I got my Ph.D. in [subject] from [alma mater], and I’m just so excited to be here.” A few of my colleagues mumbled or spoke softly, as if afraid someone might hear them.

So you know me, right? I was like, this is gonna be a long day, and already we can use a little relief. About five people before me, I started to think about what I’d say. My turn came. I spoke clearly and deliberately, in a cheerful tone.





“I’m Elizabeth Sims. I used to run the liberal arts departments at Harvard and the Sorbonne—in Paris.” Heads instantly turned in my direction and postures straightened. I went on, at the same pace, “I was the boss of both of those programs, at the same time.” Dead, attentive silence. “But I got kicked out of both places because of a series of really juicy sex scandals.” Every last pair of eyes was riveted to me, and people started to laugh incredulously. “So here I am at this fine institution. And guess what I’ll be teaching! Story writing! Making up stories. You see how it works.” Full-on, relaxed laughter. “The truth is, I’m an author and writing authority, and I’m a contributing editor at Writer’s Digest magazine. My degrees are from Michigan State University and Wayne State University—in Detroit. And now on to [name of person sitting next to me].” That person waited a moment for the room to settle down before resuming the ordinary story format. I hoped strongly to be one-upped, but nobody tried it.

During breaks, some of my colleagues came up to talk. One said, “I want to be in your class!” Another wanted my card so she could have me come and talk about storytelling to one of her classes. Another asked, anxiously, “Did you plan that? I mean, did you plan that?” Another simply said, in a low, awed tone, “That was great.” Such a tiny little thing; such fun, positive impact! I guess one reason my performance was so impressive was that the top administrators of the college were in the room. The people you’re supposed to really behave in front of.

I had already engineered a similar success a few years ago when, after arthroscopic shoulder surgery, I was sitting in the physical-therapy waiting room with a few other patients. Everyone started discussing why they were there: knee replacement, knee replacement, wrist tendon. I nodded sympathetically until they all turned, politely, to me. I gestured to my sling and explained that my arm had been torn off in a terrible car wreck, but doctors had reattached it during a grueling 17-hour operation. Judging by their slowly widening eyes and dropping jaws, I could have gone on about how I stanched the bleeding myself and used the severed arm as a club to ward off an aggressive grizzly bear, but Marcia, who had driven me to the appointment, broke in with the truth. (I believe I posted this on Facebook at the time, so forgive me if you already heard it.)

Other than to have fun telling you about my little shining moments, my point here is to remind us that story, when unexpected, can hit people strongly. You can have a lot of fun with story, on the page and off! It’s a gift! Find your balls and give it! Look for opportunities, and then report back to us, OK?
(For more on this subject, see post 145, Lying is Good for You.)

Do you have a story about a time when you fun-lied? Tell us! To post, click below where it says, 'No Comments,' or '2 Comments,' or whatever. Photo by ES.

If you'd like to receive this blog automatically as an email, look to the right, above my bio, and subscribe there. Thanks for looking in.

12 comments:

  1. I spent much of my career working in bank trust departments, not exactly the kind of environment that encourages a lot of laughter. One of the more serious meetings we had was the Investment Committee. I was attending my first one at a new job when the department head, who was something of a jokester, said, "Here's the Earl Johnson file. What kind of idiot parent would name his child Earl?" Keeping as straight a face as possible I replied, "I've got a son named Earl." The reaction I got at the time was dead silence but we had some good laughs about it later (over a few cold ones).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fabulous, John. 'A Son Named Earl' could go down in infamy like 'A Boy Named Sue,' I think... Thanks for sharing that with us!

      Delete
  2. LOL OMG, this is such a great story, Elizabeth. Good on you for shaking things up! (Do you ever do online classes? I'm heading out of non-fic and into fic...and could use some mentoring). :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad this one rocked ya, Janet! Cool to know you're getting into fiction. At the moment, no online classes, but I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO make that happen before long. Glad to know of your interest. Stay tuned.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous story. Having seen you in action lecturing, I can only imagine those faces. I would have loved to been there.
    No stories to tell about fun-lying. Not yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tricia. You know, I'm realizing that fun-lying is energizing, too. XO

      Delete
  4. Oh goodness, you sure come up with some good ones! I'm not sure I'd have the...whatever...to do what you did, but I bet the ones who listened to you loved it. Sounds like you made some new fans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it, Beej! (& thanks for stopping by.)

      Delete
  5. Your colleagues will always remember you. Great advice for writing a story that will be remembered by readers long after they finish a book. I wish I could take your class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped in, Bev. I wish you could too. Somehow I gotta get some teaching happening online...

      Delete
  6. I suppose lying in kindergarten doesn't count, since everyone does it. In college it's a different story. The summer before my senior year I broke my ankle while climbing a hill in flip-flops. I told classmates who asked about my cast, that I'd fallen off the garage roof while helping my father shingle it. More recently at the office I was looking in a book of baby names to find names for my characters. A co-worker asked about it. I told her I was going to have a baby. She believe me, did't seem to notice that I'm a bit beyond that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hilarious, Dace. Let us know your due date, OK?... (and thanks for sharing with us!)

      Delete

Tell us your thoughts! You know you want to.