Thursday, August 10, 2017

Mad Scientist's Guide to Fiction

Zestful Blog Post #224

This post is a meaty excerpt from my article, "Fiction Lab," in the September 2017 issue of Writer’s Digest magazine.

For my 10th birthday, I requested and received a chemistry set. It came with all the cool stuff, but the experiments in the instruction book were feeble. You knew what was supposed to happen; nothing exploded, nothing grew over the top of the test tube. I started to think outside the kit. I took apart Christmas lights to create dollhouse lamps, but achieved only a blown fuse and some smoke. When my mother got hold of a fetal pig for me to dissect, I hooked it up to a dry cell in an attempt to trigger reflex motion. I succeeded in giving myself a shock.

Then a school chum told me he’d learned the recipe for gunpowder. It’s hard to fathom now, but children in the 1960s could and did obtain the raw materials for making explosives. The local pharmacist sold me as much potassium nitrate as I wanted, no questions asked, 15 cents an ounce. From there, life got a lot more interesting. (Surprisingly, I emerged from childhood with my eyesight, hearing, and all fingers and toes intact.)

My young mad-scientist days taught me some basic lessons in creativity. Now, as a writer of fiction, I create different sorts of things—equally incendiary and no less fun.

A mad scientist is passionate about a vision of something new. Perhaps because of that, she might seem somewhat unbalanced (hence mad). She’s eager to try anything to bring about success, and willing to endure sacrifice. A mad scientist’s spirit is indomitable and fearless. Most important of all, she’s ready to pick up after a failure and try a different formula. All qualities, as you’ve probably deduced, that would serve a writer just as well.

When your daily pages are looking stale, or your ideas aren’t flowing as fast, free and fun as you’d like—step into your fiction lab and try these approaches to tap into the mad-scientist spirit. 



Throw out the instructions.

We’re talking about a mad scientist, not an ignorant one. Textbooks serve a purpose—one must learn at least the rudiments of one’s craft before breaking new ground—but they can also become a crutch if we cling to them too tightly.

The poet Ezra Pound encouraged Ernest Hemingway to push beyond his journalism training to write short vignettes for The Little Review. Hemingway hadn’t written much fiction yet, but he penned a few vignettes of just a paragraph or so each, then he wrote more of them. It was bold to produce such short things and call them finished pieces; nobody else at the time was really doing that. But Hemingway wanted to write tight and true, and brought war and bullfighting to life with bluntness and cruel beauty in those brief but powerful portrayals.  Later he interspersed them with short stories to form his first collection, In Our Time, which brought him fame. Those vignettes that blew readers away in 1925 are no less effective today.

In 1980, Jean M. Auel broke new ground with the launch of her Earth’s Children series (The Clan of the Cave Bear, etc.), which endowed her preliterate primitive characters with emotion and powers of thought equivalent to those we associate with modern humans. I don’t know where she got the idea, but it sure wasn’t from any classroom I’ve ever heard of. Readers are still buying those rule-smashing stories today.

The point here is to not be constrained by convention. If you’re moved to try something different but a little voice says, “Wait, that’s not what we learned in the workshop!”—then stop and consider. Sometimes the “No!” and its attendant discomfort are really cues that you need to say, “Yes!”

What lies beyond the textbook is your own vision. To bring it into focus, find some stillness. Unplug from all the online crap and let your mind settle down. Contemplate your writing project, at whatever stage it’s in. Pay attention to any thoughts that come up about it, and write them down, whether they’re ideas about plot, or hunks of story, whatever. Even apparent junk tends to morph into original material if you stay open and give it enough time to move beyond stock advice and become wholly your own.

Stock the shelves with interesting supplies.

Of course, to remain perpetually in creation and experimentation mode, you do have to look beyond your own brain.

Dashiell Hammett read widely, seemingly without rhyme or reason: a Shakespeare play after a book on horology after a history of the Balkans after a memoir of a cowboy. This kind of reading was a sort of fertilizer for his brain. The Maltese Falcon didn’t have a clockmaking cowboy from Albania in it, but it did have tight time frames, wild action and international quarreling.

Consider anything and everything fodder for your fiction. Breakthroughs can happen when you draw information and inspiration from unlikely sources. Court transcripts, for instance, can yield amazing material. If your romance novel is lagging, why not look up the transcripts from some juicy, high-profile divorce cases? You won’t necessarily pluck from them word-for-word, but you could come across details that spark novelty.

Comb through belongings left over from your childhood. Remember what it was like to sneak around the neighborhood pretending to be a secret agent. Call up your most humiliating memory from the baseball diamond or Sunday school.

Learn to see possibilities in films, fiction, cereal boxes, weapons catalogs—anything! Throw things together in ways nobody else has dared to try; juxtapose wildly. Drop poison into a sculptor’s clay. Make a planet grow arms and legs. Impose no restrictions! Tinker to your heart’s content.

. . .

Make another one.

If you quit after one attempt, of course, you wouldn’t be much of a scientist—more like a curious visitor. There is tremendous power in setting to work anew, and seeing the next project through to the end. Make yourself at home in your lab. Construct it to suit your purposes not just for a wayward afternoon, but for countless days of discovery and wonder.

The world looks to artists to leave the general comfort zone, then report back. If you do that with intention and verve, again and again, it’s only a matter of time before you’ll look down at a creation and notice something different, something fabulous.

Your heart will race and your blood will pound and you will raise your fists and shout, “It’s alive!”

[For now, the whole article is available only in the current magazine.]

Did you ever blow anything up? Do you have any suggestions to share on this topic, or what the hell, any other? To post, click below where it says, 'No Comments,' or '2 Comments,' or whatever. [Photo by ES]
If you'd like to receive this blog automatically as an email, look to the right, above my bio, and subscribe there. Thanks for looking in.

10 comments:

  1. Two things-wow, did I need this today-thank you!
    And, as a child of the 50's (totally ignoring how old that sounds), we always had a little vial of mercury around and were allowed to roll it around in our palms. It was a really neat substance-and, I suppose dangerous, but somehow we survived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, golly, I had a slug of mercury too! Had forgotten that. My dad, who worked in a chemical plant, brought it home in a little vial. I remember how oddly hot it would feel after a little while in your palm. And how it would turn a silver dime so impossibly bright. I dropped some into the rug in my bedroom, and I suppose it contributed to whatever other toxic crap I breathed in... Thanks for the jog down memory lane, Gail.

      Delete
  2. I actually ripped this article out of my WD issue. :)

    My favorite part is about stocking the shelves with interesting supplies. I tend to get too focused on my projects then end up feeling like I'm wearing blinders. I want to be more open but not get distracted. It's tricky. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. One way to look at it: Simply feed your curiosity without any specific plan for using anything. That takes the pressure off. Glad you liked the piece, Madeline!

      Delete
  3. I love the reminder to have fun! As I write this, I'm admiring the Maltese Falcon statuette which I inherited from my father and remembering how hard I worked to find a summer camp where my daughter could fulfill her dream of dissecting a pig (thank you Texas Women's University). And thank you, Ez, for another great column.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm envious of your Maltese Falcon!!!!!!! Thanks for stopping in (and you're welcome)...

      Delete
  4. This was just what I needed this morning. As a child of the 50's and 60's, we got to do stuff that kids today would never get to do. Like sliding down the steep hill covered with wet leaves or snow on flattened cardboard boxes. Okay, Mom didn't know we were doing it, but we did do it. She drew the line at a chemistry set. Nope. No way. So I did other stuff. And survived all of them. I guess the point is that we do need to be more open. Keep that stuff that sparks imaginary journeys close at hand, and don't be afraid to let your mind wander to ridiculous places. One of them might be just what you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, yeah, Beej, and you rode your bike for miles outside your territory, right? and found hideouts and invented games... Glad you survived.

      Delete
  5. What a great, inspiring post! Thanks for reminding me there's a mad scientist buried in here somewhere. I'm off to rediscover her...

    ReplyDelete

Tell us your thoughts! You know you want to.