Thursday, July 27, 2017

Wear Doomed

Zestful Blog Post #222

I’ve become a lurker on Reddit, where I keep my finger on the pulse of the language of the Internet, the current usage and word spellings. If you’re unfurmiliar, Reddit is where you can post stuff on line.

They’re a lot of great stories on Reddit. I guess I could write one. For instants, I remember in junior high when I dawned a Start Trek uniform and lead my pals on a quest. Autumn had came, and we wanted to build a bond fire. We dragged over some old wood palettes from the back of the school. But when it came down to brass tax, we didn’t have any matches. My boyfriend, who had the face of a brauler—he had been in many brauls—decided to steal some from a party store. I was against stealing, exetera, but I chocked it up to his wanting to blead the system. Plus, I didn’t want to act like a Pre-Madonna.

Without further adieu, I hopped on my bike and rode to the pawn shop. I rode so fast I almost ran into a car, which had to slam on its breaks. At the shop, I hawked my class ring, which for all intensive purposes I didn’t need anymore. Not like I was at my boyfriend’s beckon call, but I did want to tow the line where the law was concerned, so I rode fast with my bran new ten dollars to the party store before he could choplift the matches.


However! Low and behold, this girl from marching band was their, hanging all over my guy. I saw the whole thing as soon as I stepped foot in the store. He saw me, and his face went beat red. The whole bond fire was a mute point now.

“Well, this is totally out of the blew,” I said. “Where did this retch come from?” I waited with baited breath to see what he would say.

He mumbled something I couldn’t here. I gave him a peace of my mind, then stormed off. Then I remembered I still had on my Start Trek shirt. I felt like an imbacel.

But you know what? The next day he comes over to my house with a big bokay of flowers. I was like????? He goes, “You’re a shoe-in to be my date for the prom.” So, he wanted to barry the hatchet.

You could knit-pick this story to death, and you probably will, but I feel like I got it out of my system and am back on an even keal. That’s my story—Reddit style.

[And yes, I’ve seen every one of those on Reddit. I keep a log. This is where literacy is headed, friends…]

What do you think? To post, click below where it says, 'No Comments,' or '2 Comments,' or whatever.
If you'd like to receive this blog automatically as an email, look to the right, above my bio, and subscribe there. Thanks for looking in.

12 comments:

  1. About where literacy is headed--I hate it. I want to scream. Nothing lasts forever. Everything is circular. English didn't always have standardized spellings, and I guess it's coming back around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, RM, you're right as to how English spelling was not standardized until more modern times. Chaucer, for instance, is pretty phonetic, within the pronunciations of the day. And yeah...the beat goes on. (thanks for stopping by.)

      Delete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Not ever, so long as there's breath in our bodies. LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Cordia. So much appallingment.

      Delete
  3. My father never learned to read. I'm learning things now at age 50 that I should've in high school. Literacy and the lack thereof seems a complicated topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is, Bev. And I might add that just because someone doesn't know an idiom, or how to spell everything right, it doesn't mean they're illiterate, or stupid.

      Delete
  4. You know, Elizabeth, you really should warn readers before you veer off into the land of the lousy spellers. By the second sentence, I was scrounging in the basement for duct tape to keep my head from exploding. I may never recover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s why we need authors to keep us on the straight and narrow.
    I burst out laughing and said “We’re doomed - doomed”! that was Private Frazer’s catchphrase in Dad’s Army. Your blog is brilliant as always. Thank you for the time and effort you put into writing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your thanks, Elaine! Glad you stopped by.

      Delete

Tell us your thoughts! You know you want to.