Saturday, April 4, 2015

Promo Experiment: Damn Straight Free

Zestful Blog Post #100

Apropos to my missives on marketing lately, here’s a special I’m running, followed by some early feedback:

The special (text I posted on FB this morning):

Grab a freebie on Kindle: In honor of this weekend's major LPGA tournament, the ANA Inspiration--formerly known as the Kraft Nabisco, formerly known as the Dinah, after Dinah Shore, 'the Tennessee Thrush', who founded it, the Lambda-winning DAMN STRAIGHT is free on Amazon Kindle. The weekend is still known as 'The Dinah' among SoCal golf cognoscenti. Lotsa parties in the Palm Springs area. (The course is Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage.)

DAMN STRAIGHT is set at the Dinah, where our heroine Lillian Byrd falls for a professional golfer with some dark danger going on in her life. What can Lillian do but try to help? This read 'will keep you up til dawn,' according to Whitney Scott on Booklist.

The feedback:

This is, I believe, the second time I’ve put this book up for free; the first was about 3 years ago, I think. I was happy with the results then, though off the top of my head I can’t remember how many total downloads. It was in the several thousands.

As soon as the special went live at midnight this morning (Saturday Apr. 4), night-owl readers (and possibly some non-nightowl overseas ones) started snapping it up, slowly, then with more gusto. 30 copies were downloaded in the first six hours; the total is approaching 90 now. Promo done so far today: One post on Facebook, one on Twitter, and now this blog. I’ll put up notices on a couple of Yahoo sites I’m on, and this blog will be automatically fed to my author pages on Amazon and Goodreads.

As I write this, just after noon on Saturday, the book’s ranking:

·         #5,410 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)





The price will stay free for a few days. Not sure when I’ll cut it off, but it will be back to full price at least by Thursday, because I can only put it for free for a total of five days per three-month period on Amazon Select.

Will let you know more in Thursday’s blog.

What do you think? To post, click below where it says, 'No Comments,' or '2 Comments,' or whatever.
If you'd like to receive this blog automatically as an email, look to the right, above my bio, and subscribe there. Thanks for looking in.

2 comments:

  1. Post #100 deserves some sort of recognition -- three cheers for you! I do enjoy reading your blog posts, thank you.

    -- Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the cheer, Allison! I almost said something in the post like Yay, me, but...

      Delete

Tell us your thoughts! You know you want to.